My friend said the other day: “Nothing is more photogenic than a ‘messy’ bed.”
This is so so soo true. At home, we try to make our bed as neat as possible but on social media, we seem to like those messy ones a bit more. Why is that?
Layers. It is all about layers.
Although as architects we seem to enjoy designing the space, and by that we mean carefully thinking about every little detail, sometimes all you can do in a room is decorate, and by that we mean carefully thinking about casually placing every piece of furniture and decoration in it.
Bedroom, in our opinion, is that kind of room. It is the most private room in the apartment and probably the only one where your guests never walk in – unless invited ;), it is your little oasis and you should style it the way that you’ll feel amazing in it.
These are some important stuff your bedroom should have:
- Bed – this is the essential because otherwise, it wouldn’t be a BEDroom
- Nightstand – here’s where you can be creative, you don’t have to use the nightstand, you can use any kind of side table, or wired basket, or wall shelf, even a grandma’s old chair… think outside the box!
- Good lighting – it doesn’t matter what kind of lighting it is, table, wall, floor or even ceiling lighting above your nightstand… everything works great here
- Storage space – wardrobe or dresser or both if you don’t have a separate wardrobe space, but also don’t forget about shelving for books and other necessities
- Decoration pieces – when it comes to the bedroom the philosophy is ‘the more the merrier’ – rugs, bed coverings, throw blankets, cushions, vases, candles etc. – a lot of layers, but layers that are carefully put together.
- Greenery – ’cause every space looks better with some beautiful big plant in it
So today we decided to make a mood boards of a few bedrooms and make them as photogenic/messy as possible. We styled it with furniture and decoration pieces from our two favorite and affordable shops – IKEA + ZARA HOME (linked below).
1: TARVA bed frame (IKEA)
2: ECRU FAUX FUR + BLUE GREEN COARSE LINEN + DOUBLE STITCHING LINEN cushion cover (ZARA HOME)
3: LEAVES DESIGN COTTON quilt cover (ZARA HOME)
4: LITTLE ROUND TABLE WITH IRON LEGS (ZARA HOME)
5: FLEXIBLE READING LAMP (ZARA HOME)
6: GREEN CYLINDRICAL GLASS VASE with an irregular edge (ZARA HOME)
7: CEMENT BOWL candle (ZARA HOME)
8: LARGE BLUE BASKET with handles (ZARA HOME)
9: TAN CABLE-KNIT CHENILLE + WOVEN MULTICOLOURED blanket (ZARA HOME)
10: SVIRVEL pendant lamp (IKEA)
1: NESTTUN bed frame (IKEA)
2: NATURAL MINI-CHECK KNIT bedspread (ZARA HOME)
3: ECRU CUTOUT blanket (ZARA HOME)
4: GLADOM tray table (IKEA)
5: GREY TRANSPARENT GLASS vase with cork detail (ZARA HOME)
6: CRYSTAL CANDLE Holder (ZARA HOME)
7: RANARP wall spotlight (IKEA)
8: GOLDEN STRIPED COTTON rug (ZARA HOME)
9: BAMBOO clothes basket (ZARA HOME)
10: RANARP pendant lamp (IKEA)
1: OPPLAND bed frame (IKEA)
2: HERRINGBONE PATTERN WASHED COTTON quilt (ZARA HOME)
3: CONTRASTING TOPSTITCHING COTTON pillow case (ZARA HOME)
4: GUALÖV storage table (IKEA)
5: GREEN HERBS CYLINDRICAL candle (ZARA HOME)
6: TRANSPARENT GLASS vase with a silver edge (ZARA HOME)
7: HEKTAR Wall spotlight (IKEA)
8: GREY PLAITED pouff (ZARA HOME)
9: GEOMETRIC JACQUARD TEXTURED blanket (ZARA HOME)
10: UPPBO floor lamp (IKEA)
We love beds with layers of linen and cushions and blankets because they are very cozy.
When it comes to storage space think of it as a storage for your personal stuff, not the storage space for everything you don’t know where else to put – no clutter in the bedroom! Or at least, no displayed clutter.
Now they say hygge is cheesy (also, cheese is very hygge – it goes both ways), yet we can’t help but think that great artwork on the wall, candles for good mood and your favorite book right by your side is a necessity in every bedroom.
For more mood boards and decorating inspiration, check out our post Tips and tricks for entrance space.
Photos + mood boards: upgradesign